Wednesday, August 3, 2005

What I Learned at Kinder Today!

Every Wednesday I spend the mid-morning with the four year-olds at our kindergarten. It is a cool time where we sing songs, I tell stories and we pray together. Today I gave them a paraphrased version of Luke 10:25-37, 'The Parable of the Good Samaritan' and then asked them to tell me what it meant.

We all know that Jesus said that it was kids who most 'got' the Kingdom of God. Us adults are the ones to justify, modify and rationalise things beyind the point of recognition of their origional meaning. Not these four year olds. They got it.

One replied, "Andrew, that's easy... We are meant to care for people who need help." I asked the rest of the group if they agreed. They did (although a couple of them thought Spiderman and Batman also helped the police when they needed help!). And I thought to myself as I walked out, "It is that simple! Jesus 'helped and helps us' and we are to do the same to others. That is what will tansform our community from its anxiety driven consumerism and fear of 'the other'. That is what the community will never despise the church for... "Out of the mouths of babes..."

No comments:

Post a Comment