Friday, September 23, 2005

Food Mission

I went out last night with 'K' to spend the evening with some old friends. 'K' used to work with the wife of this couple and like old friends who hadn't seen each other for years (the price of living interstate) we caught up as though we'd been apart for just a week. But that's not the story that I want to tell in this post.

We went to this small but groovey cafe in the outer north eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I could never of found the place if these friends hadn't guided us there. In fact, even with their clear directions we still had to call them on the cell phone twice to find it and in the end 'H' had to stand out on the road and wave us down!

So this cafe is in a small lane that is too small to even get named in the Melways but we go in and the owner shakes us by the hand and welcomes us in. We sat down out the back in an area that could take 15 people at a squeeze. The deck next to that could comfirtably take 8 (no more). Oh and there is the area round the bar that could take another 10 (maybe). So it is imtimate enough for the owner to greet everyone and call them by name for the rest of the night. I suspect that if I went back in a week he'd still remember me.

And the food and drinks menu was enticing. No 'main means' just groovey ante-pastas, cheeses, dips, samosas, etc. And a simple but alternative wine list. We got there at 6.45 (finally) and it was quite empty. I wondered if it was going to close. But the 4 of us settled into a great time of catching up and freaking out because while 'K' and I are facing the joys of parenthood these friends (who are not much older then us) are becoming grandparents!!!

We must have been deeply engaged in conversation for an hour or so because when I looked up I noticed that there were now about 20 people in the cafe and another 10 outside where they could smoke. There were 3 x 35 years olds catching up. There was a 50 year old bloke drinking a red wine and reading the paper, clearly enjoying being in a 'community space'. Other groups chatting away... and this happens every night there.

So here we were in a hard to find place that was found by plenty of people whop just like to 'hang out' together in a community space and relate. It was wonderful and reminded me about the time a couple of years ago that I was outside of Christchurch in NZ. Fraser the Scottish Youth Pastor took me to a pub where I experienced the same thing on a freezing Winter's afternoon. A whole bunch of locals watching the rugby together.

And then we went to a cafe down the road that provided coffee and dancing. Saturday afternoon and people were practicing the tango! I found out later on, that this place was a church and on Sunday afternoons they worship together. Exciting possibilities for a missional church.

No comments:

Post a Comment