Thursday, September 15, 2005

Up the Mountain

Well I am off on a retreat for 24 hours with the other 6 people who are getting ordained in November and the Whitley College Princpal, who is running the time. I'm looking forward to getting to know them and the chance to have 24 hours of reflection and P & Q!.

It make me think again about what ordination is for a Baptist? I mean, we do believe in the idea of the Priesthood of All Believers. This means that we don't need a priest to get through to God but we each have access through the work of Christ. That's why we don't have confessionals in our churches... you can go direct to God or by confessing to another believer and it doesn't have to be me. So why do we have ordination?

I guess it is a recognition that God calls some people to servant leadership in a full-time vocational sense and that there should be some quality controls about who and why as well as some levels of Biblical, theological, pastoral, leadership knowledge in the candidate. Afterall, we expect plumbers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, hairdressers, accountants, carpenters, etc. to be trained and accredited by their professional organisations. How much more important is it for those given a pastoral leadership amongst people's lives? I am committed to the notion that there should be a formal process for accreditation of pastors by denominations and wider systems or the whole thing is just up for abuse. I've seen too many example of these personalities who dodge the system and are loose cannons.

My path to ordination has not been a 'typical one' but I expect as I listen to the stories of the others there that none of the will be 'typical' either. My path has taken me through 2.5 theological degrees (a BMin, a MMin and now a DMin) and I was mentored by several key people who each have made a major effect on my life and ministry, each in quite different ways. And of course my ministry at Crossway, Marshmead and in Adelaide (at Burleigh and with the SABU) were major experiences. I am grateful for each of them.

What elements do you think should be in an ordination process?

No comments:

Post a Comment